You found out your office is moving, exciting news!
At least those were your initial thoughts until your agenda and checklists keep filling up and you haven’t even hired a mover yet! Never fear! Not only because I’m here to help you look like the professional, but because using these introductory straightforward tips when orchestrating an office move will aid in making your office move as smooth and efficient as possible!
My suggestion is simple: find a moving company that offers comprehensive move management services! You’ll be laughing with joy throughout the entire move process, and well beyond move-in day!
Moving forward using these tips as a starting point will help alleviate undue stress and potential wasted energy when hunting for a competent mover.
- Let’s Talk Insurance – Your mover should be able to meet, if not exceed, your building(s)’s minimum requirements; make sure of this even before asking for an estimate! RUN, far and fast, if your mover cannot produce a current Certificate of Insurance listing required coverage amounts. Also make sure your moving company has the ability to add, not only your company, but the building ownership entities as additional insured on the certificate.
- Safety #1 – Obtaining a Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) Clearance Letter from your mover will identify if the company (a) has a valid WCB account, (b) whether it is in good standing with the WCB, which includes (c) having their premiums paid to-date.
WOWZER FACT: did you know that if you hire a company, moving or otherwise operating within your workplace, and their premiums are not paid up-to-date, the possibility exists to hold YOUR company liable for not only the owed premiums, but also the associated claim costs should an injury occur on your site! The WCB even suggests requesting another Clearance Letter prior to releasing final payment!
Thoroughly check your vendors’ references and credentials.
- Full-service moving company or just the movers? Hiring a company that performs more than just the physical moving of your office furnishings is crucial! For instance, levelling the file cabinets, bookcases and desks when moved, more often than not is completely overlooked by “just movers”. Any uneven furnishing can be a safety hazard! And omitting this step can actually cause permanent damage to your furnishings! It will also lead to reduced drawer functionality over time, lock mechanism wear, etc.
Also consider this, does the moving company provide after-move services, such as hanging artwork, adjusting keyboard trays and work surface heights to each worker’s preference? Do they move file rooms including the shelving too?
- Furnished? Move with Furniture? Do you move with your office furniture, get new furniture, or are you moving into a space already furnished? Your moving company should be able to provide you with pricing options for all scenarios to help give you a realistic perspective on the decision at hand.
- Got supplies? Plastic moving bins/lids with security ties, labels, computer or map bags, packing materials, bubble wrap covers for monitors, various sized cardboard boxes, Masonite to protect the flooring, walls and door trim – your moving company should be able to supply all of these materials and so much more! What about the moving company’s equipment they’re going to be using – are they stocked well enough for your move and is it maintained in a respectable, safe condition? Are their trucks up to date with the annual inspections as part of Alberta’s CVIP (Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program)?
Plan ahead whenever and wherever possible! For instance, booking of the elevators and loading docks can get very sparse depending on what else is happening in your office building. As soon as you know anticipated dates, lock of the elevators and book the
loading dock at all required buildings (or if you have an awesome full-service moving company like CSS, we’ll take care of this entirely for you).
Bottom line is this: ensure you’re hiring a full-service moving company offering comprehensive move services, a company that know what they’re doing with your office furniture, files and assets. These are important to you and your company and should be even more of a priority when being relocated by your movers!
These tips are merely tiny specks of sand out of the entire desert on guidelines to coordinate a streamlined office move. I could write a book on tips on how to properly choose an office mover, so please feel free to contact CSS Office Solutions by phone or email to speak with one of our Account Managers directly if you have any questions regarding your office move.